OpenPublica

Accountability starts with access.

© 2026 · Filed for the public record

Use casesAboutAPIPrivacyTermsLinkedIn
Home/Boca Raton, Florida/Boca Raton Public Meetings
OPENPUBLICA · PUBLIC MEETING RECORD
Record of Proceedings

Boca Raton City Council Workshop Summary - October 13, 2026

Boca Raton Public Meetings — Tuesday, October 13, 2026
BodyBoca Raton, Florida
SessionBoca Raton Public Meetings
DateTuesday, October 13, 2026
StatusFILED
Video Record
0:00 / 1:25:13

Original source
Transcript — VerbatimClick a timed line to jump · ⧉ to share it

Speaker numbers apply only to this recording. Names come from transcript evidence. “Possibly” marks uncertain attribution.

Speaker 1

8:33

We can now get started with our workshop agenda.

8:36

This is your book of its own city council.

8:38

For our workshop meeting today is still Tuesday, October thirteenth, twenty twenty-six.

8:42

The time is eleven in the A.

8:45

M.

8:46

First item on our agenda is board interviews, for which we have none.

8:49

So we can move on to proclamations and presentations.

Speaker 2

9:18

I appreciate you being here as well.

9:46

Most folks are familiar last March.

9:49

Since then, we evaluated all the different operational aspects, some alternatives cost, and we got a lot of community feedback.

10:01

And then we we put some revised concepts out there, reduced the size and scope from folks who remember 165,000 square feet.

10:09

We reduced that down to 100,000 square feet.

10:13

And then we put a couple different location ideas out there so we could get community feedback to get us to this point.

10:20

And then eventually we took a look at funding methodology and some of that methodology was a bond here.

10:28

We took that to the Financial Advisory Board uh last week, and then they recommend up to 125 million dollar bond referendum for this March.

10:37

And then uh and now here we are with uh proposed ballot uh language.

10:44

And big picture uh we just we have we have to have the ballot language in by December 4th.

10:50

Um so we're ahead of schedule.

10:52

Uh and with the workshop today, we can discuss that ballot language uh and then if council uh decides on appropriate ballot language today or throughout next week, uh we can make that a resolution uh to go for a vote on October 27th.

11:10

Uh in the event that uh we don't have the language identified by then, we still have uh a couple more council meetings in November.

11:17

So we have a little bit of time uh to get this done, but I just wanted to be ahead of schedule uh because we've got a lot of other business coming up uh in the city.

11:26

So big picture here.

11:29

Um I'm gonna show you four different options.

11:32

And the first one is without a specific location.

11:37

Uh and and you're gonna see through these summaries that it's they're all gonna say 125 million dollars, uh, and this particular option is no location specific.

11:48

And the thought process is if council wants to go in this direction, uh I recommend that we have a dedicated workshop on April 12th and April 13th uh with public comment to decide on the location if the referendum passes on March 9th.

12:07

That's when that location discussion would occur.

12:10

Uh the next one is uh we put together uh basically two different locations to make sure that's included uh into the bond language.

12:21

And specifically uh the locations are near Spanish River Boulevard and I-95, and a new downtown police station near 2nd Street and 2nd Avenue.

12:33

Um that's the difference there is two locations.

12:37

Uh and then option three is just the downtown specific.

12:42

There's no other uh location, uh Spanish River or I-95.

12:48

And having spent the last two weeks with a lot of residents uh and a lot of council members, uh this last option is my recommendation.

12:58

Uh and this last option is basically very similar to the first one, but you'll notice after evidence storage and related facilities and equipment, there's the verbiage a dedicated downtown police facility.

13:16

Um this is just ensuring that uh if the referendum passes uh the residents can be rest assured that uh we are uh focused on a dedicated downtown police facility.

13:30

Uh and that doesn't mean we can't have two facilities, right?

13:33

One at Spanish River and one at downtown, but this just ensures uh that there's a downtown police facility uh for option four.

13:43

So really, you know, with that uh is ideally we we the council uh settles on ballot language today or throughout the week, and then we come back, as I said, October 27th for a resolution, uh, and then we're ahead of schedule.

13:57

Uh and then, of course, on March 9th, uh we'll take that to the voters uh and they'll decide.

14:04

Uh and then we we would we'd be continue the work effort as we go forward on April 12th.

14:10

We'll workshop uh what the fallout was uh on the referendum and how to go forward and put those alternatives to council and then have a public hearing on April 13th.

14:21

So with that, I will uh turn it over uh and this is the timeline here.

14:27

Uh and this is a broad timeline.

14:30

Uh obviously we don't have a design or a location.

14:33

Uh it's like buying a house.

14:35

Uh we don't even have a budget approved, let alone a location, let alone a design.

14:41

So the point is it's very difficult to put a timeline of accuracy, but this is an approximate timeline uh if we were moving forward would be uh as we kick off quarter one of 2029, we'd have a new police department uh headquarters where where wherever that may be.

Unassigned speaker

15:00

And with that, I'll turn it over to the mayor uh to begin the uh discussion.

Speaker 1

15:03

Okay, Mr.

15:03

Sohaney, thank you for that.

15:05

Uh just to clarify, it would seem that is it staff's recommendation that we adopt the language number four, option number four, is that your preferred language?

15:14

That's correct.

15:14

Okay.

15:15

Uh this is uh I I'm gonna just give my sense, my two cents on this first, and then oh, do you have a question, Mr.

15:21

Rucker?

15:22

Go ahead.

Speaker 3

15:22

So just because I read the two and then uh yeah, I saw there was no downtown on option one.

15:27

On the out one, is there a reason we left slowly out of the language?

15:33

Like so if you go like shall the city issue general on L on option number one, it's uh uh it says solely to finance a replacement, but on option number four, it doesn't say that before.

15:46

So I just want to make sure like they're identical.

Discussion Breakdown — Share of Meeting
Land Use Regulation████████████████████20%
Downtown Planning█████████████████17%
Board Appointments█████████████13%
Public Safety███████████11%
Parks and Recreation█████████9%
Procedural████████8%
Public Records█████5%
Fiscal Sustainability████4%
Public Engagement███3%
Summary of Proceedings

Boca Raton City Council Workshop

The Boca Raton City Council held a workshop on Tuesday, October 13, 2026. The primary discussions focused on the ballot language for a police services complex bond referendum, the process for filling a city council seat vacancy, and a code interpretation issue regarding residential building heights raised during public comment.

Public Comments & Testimony

  • Raquel Paul expressed concern that Amendment 3 would harm city services like police and fire, questioning if a special assessment would be needed to cover the shortfall.
  • Bob Sweet Apple urged the council to workshop a development plan for a client's property at Fifth Avenue and Palmetto Park Road, warning of commercial development as a matter of right.
  • Richard Warner stated the bond would fail without a clear downtown location and opposed appointing a council member, advocating for voters to decide in the March election.
  • Shannon Otto supported appointing Mike Liebelson to the vacant council seat.
  • Will Bordelon, Joe Liguri, and Dr. Sternbach (coordinated) challenged the city's interpretation of Ordinance 5086, arguing it was never intended to authorize habitable living space above 25 feet in R1 districts. They requested a clarifying ordinance and a temporary pause on approvals for a home at 1300 Coconut Road.
  • George Camao (former Community Development Director and P&Z Board member) supported the residents' interpretation, stating Ordinance 5086 was strictly for roof lines, not additional floors.
  • Greg Galanus requested the city collaborate with the Beach and Park District to build a nine-hole golf course at North Park, citing high demand (48.1 million U.S. golfers in 2025, up 41% since 2019).
  • Mike Liebelson supported Option 4 for the bond but wanted clearer location details for voters. He advocated for bond flexibility for early pay-off and referenced potential savings from the county MSTU framework.
  • Alexandra Abelo supported Amendment 3 and appointed Mike Liebelson to the vacancy.
  • Ms. Morrow supported the nine-hole golf course, lower downtown height limits, and a downtown police station.

Discussion Items

  • Police Services Complex Bond Referendum: City Manager Sohane presented four options for the $125 million general obligation bond ballot language. Option 4, staff's recommendation, explicitly ensures a dedicated downtown police facility while keeping the specific location open for a future decision. Councilmembers Thompson, Growe, Drucker, Sippel, and Perlman all expressed support for Option 4.
  • City Council Seat C Vacancy: Council discussed whether to appoint a temporary replacement for Councilmember Drucker, whose resignation takes effect November 10. Mayor Thompson favored a caretaker appointment, while Councilmembers Growe and Sippel opposed filling the seat. Councilmember Drucker provided input on her resignation date and the process. No consensus was reached.
  • R1 Building Height Code Interpretation: Following public testimony, Council directed the City Attorney to review the city's interpretation of residential height restrictions in R1 districts regarding habitable space above 25 feet. City Attorney Kaler advised that while the council could state an interpretation, a formal procedural mechanism with proper notice is necessary for enforceability and to avoid litigation.

Key Outcomes

  • Police Bond: Council directed staff to return a resolution with the Option 4 ballot language for a vote at the October 27 meeting.
  • Council Vacancy: The council decided against pursuing a temporary appointment process. The seat will remain vacant until the March 2027 election.
  • Building Heights: The City Attorney was directed to research the appropriate legal mechanism to clarify the building code regarding habitable space in R1 districts. Staff noted the contested permit at 1300 Coconut Road remains under review. A report back is scheduled for the October 27 meeting.

Meeting Transcript

We can now get started with our workshop agenda. This is your book of its own city council. For our workshop meeting today is still Tuesday, October thirteenth, twenty twenty-six. The time is eleven in the A. M. First item on our agenda is board interviews, for which we have none. So we can move on to proclamations and presentations. I appreciate you being here as well. Most folks are familiar last March. Since then, we evaluated all the different operational aspects, some alternatives cost, and we got a lot of community feedback. And then we we put some revised concepts out there, reduced the size and scope from folks who remember 165,000 square feet. We reduced that down to 100,000 square feet. And then we put a couple different location ideas out there so we could get community feedback to get us to this point. And then eventually we took a look at funding methodology and some of that methodology was a bond here. We took that to the Financial Advisory Board uh last week, and then they recommend up to 125 million dollar bond referendum for this March. And then uh and now here we are with uh proposed ballot uh language. And big picture uh we just we have we have to have the ballot language in by December 4th. Um so we're ahead of schedule. Uh and with the workshop today, we can discuss that ballot language uh and then if council uh decides on appropriate ballot language today or throughout next week, uh we can make that a resolution uh to go for a vote on October 27th. Uh in the event that uh we don't have the language identified by then, we still have uh a couple more council meetings in November. So we have a little bit of time uh to get this done, but I just wanted to be ahead of schedule uh because we've got a lot of other business coming up uh in the city. So big picture here. Um I'm gonna show you four different options. And the first one is without a specific location. Uh and and you're gonna see through these summaries that it's they're all gonna say 125 million dollars, uh, and this particular option is no location specific. And the thought process is if council wants to go in this direction, uh I recommend that we have a dedicated workshop on April 12th and April 13th uh with public comment to decide on the location if the referendum passes on March 9th. That's when that location discussion would occur. Uh the next one is uh we put together uh basically two different locations to make sure that's included uh into the bond language. And specifically uh the locations are near Spanish River Boulevard and I-95, and a new downtown police station near 2nd Street and 2nd Avenue. Um that's the difference there is two locations. Uh and then option three is just the downtown specific. There's no other uh location, uh Spanish River or I-95. And having spent the last two weeks with a lot of residents uh and a lot of council members, uh this last option is my recommendation. Uh and this last option is basically very similar to the first one, but you'll notice after evidence storage and related facilities and equipment, there's the verbiage a dedicated downtown police facility. Um this is just ensuring that uh if the referendum passes uh the residents can be rest assured that uh we are uh focused on a dedicated downtown police facility. Uh and that doesn't mean we can't have two facilities, right? One at Spanish River and one at downtown, but this just ensures uh that there's a downtown police facility uh for option four. So really, you know, with that uh is ideally we we the council uh settles on ballot language today or throughout the week, and then we come back, as I said, October 27th for a resolution, uh, and then we're ahead of schedule. Uh and then, of course, on March 9th, uh we'll take that to the voters uh and they'll decide. Uh and then we we would we'd be continue the work effort as we go forward on April 12th. We'll workshop uh what the fallout was uh on the referendum and how to go forward and put those alternatives to council and then have a public hearing on April 13th. So with that, I will uh turn it over uh and this is the timeline here. Uh and this is a broad timeline. Uh obviously we don't have a design or a location. Uh it's like buying a house. Uh we don't even have a budget approved, let alone a location, let alone a design. So the point is it's very difficult to put a timeline of accuracy, but this is an approximate timeline uh if we were moving forward would be uh as we kick off quarter one of 2029, we'd have a new police department uh headquarters where where wherever that may be. And with that, I'll turn it over to the mayor uh to begin the uh discussion. Okay, Mr. Sohaney, thank you for that.

SUMMARIZED BY OPENPUBLICA AI
TRANSCRIPT VIA PUBLIC VIDEO
openpublica.com