OpenPublica

Accountability starts with access.

© 2026 · Filed for the public record

Use casesAboutAPIPrivacyTermsLinkedIn
Home/Great Barrington, Massachusetts/Selectboard & Town Boards
OPENPUBLICA · PUBLIC MEETING RECORD
Record of Proceedings

Ramsdell Library Building Committee Meeting - August 25, 2026

Selectboard & Town Boards — Tuesday, August 25, 2026
BodyGreat Barrington, Massachusetts
SessionSelectboard & Town Boards
DateTuesday, August 25, 2026
StatusFILED
Video Record
0:00 / 1:12:31

Original source
Transcript — VerbatimClick a timed line to jump · ⧉ to share it

Speaker numbers apply only to this recording.

Speaker 1

0:00

Calling the meeting to order at 403 and asking for a roll call, John.

Speaker 2

0:10

I am here.

Speaker 1

0:11

Okay.

0:12

Pat?

Speaker 3

0:13

I am also here.

Speaker 1

0:14

All right.

0:15

Dawn.

0:17

Mostly here.

Unassigned speaker

0:18

Okay.

Speaker 1

0:19

And Lauren, I saw a door close.

0:22

I assume she's coming back.

0:23

But we know we know that she's

Unassigned speaker

0:25

here.

Speaker 1

0:26

Uh like to start the um meeting with the minutes.

0:32

Has everybody reviewed the minutes, or would you like us to post them?

0:38

Okay.

0:39

Approval to uh

Speaker 4

0:41

okay.

Speaker 1

0:42

Sorry about that.

0:43

All right, Lauren.

Unassigned speaker

0:44

So

Speaker 4

0:45

you're here.

Unassigned speaker

0:46

Great.

Speaker 4

0:46

Yeah, my my dog was outside and she got herself wrapped around all of my giant sunflowers.

0:54

Uh-oh.

0:55

Before she tore them out of the ground, I had to get her okay.

Unassigned speaker

1:00

All

Speaker 4

1:00

right.

1:00

Uh

Speaker 2

1:01

so Frederica, since you're chairing, uh you're not able to make a motion, but I'll I'll move that we approve.

1:07

Um well, first I'll ask can we approve uh both sets of minutes with one motion?

1:14

I move that we approve the minutes for January, the meetings on January 20th and July 28th.

Speaker 1

1:22

Second all right, because this is a Zoom meeting, we have to do a roll call on

Unassigned speaker

1:27

that.

Speaker 1

1:28

Uh Don I uh yes, yes, Lauren.

Speaker 4

1:34

I wasn't there, so I uh can't approve.

Speaker 1

1:38

Were you you were there at the uh the July 28th, right?

Speaker 4

1:42

Oh, yeah, but I wasn't an official member until today,

Speaker 1

1:46

until this first meeting.

1:48

Okay, Pat.

Speaker 3

1:49

Yes.

Speaker 1

1:50

Okay, and I approve as

Unassigned speaker

1:52

well.

Speaker 1

1:52

So that passes.

1:55

Uh co-chair's report.

1:58

John, do you have a co-chair's report?

Speaker 2

2:02

The co chairs met this morning for the first time.

2:05

I am um uh I'm not back not quite uh 48 hours from uh long trip overseas, so I'm just catching up and uh Frederica was kind enough to uh spend time catching me up with um uh much of where we are in the process.

2:23

I'm still uh reviewing uh minutes and uh correspondence from the past couple of months.

Speaker 1

2:31

Okay, and my uh co-chair's report can be covered by the old business because I uh there were a few items that were open from the minutes, and I wanted to go over those and see if we could uh put them to

Unassigned speaker

2:45

bed.

Speaker 1

2:46

The first one was that uh there was mention in maybe even both minutes about the parking issue.

2:53

And I wondered Pam had suggested that that we ask for designated handicap spaces in front of the library, which could happen now.

3:03

We don't have to wait for any MBLC uh approval of that.

3:07

And I wondered if there was any sentiment for asking the town to designate at least one handicapped space in front of the library.

3:15

And concomitant with that is uh the fact that we had talked about not us not necessarily hosting, but the but having a meeting about parking that would involve the neighbors, the building committee, the trustees, and high C.

3:31

And I wondered um if there was any sentiment for figuring out who would host that and seeing if we could have it happen sooner rather than later.

3:42

So thoughts on those two topics?

3:45

Pat and thank you for raising your hands.

Speaker 3

3:49

Yeah, HIC seems to be the logical uh one that would should host it, and we can obviously uh jump on that too.

Discussion Breakdown — Share of Meeting
Public Engagement█████████████████████████████29%
Community Engagement██████████████████████22%
Procedural████████████████16%
Zoning And Land Use█████████9%
Strategic Planning███████7%
Budget Equity Analysis█████5%
Personnel Matters███3%
Funding███3%
Technology and Innovation██2%
Summary of Proceedings

Ramsdell Library Building Committee Meeting - August 25, 2026

The Ramsdell Library Building Committee (RBC) met on August 25, 2026, via Zoom at 4:03 PM. Members present included Frederica (chair), John (co-chair), Pat, Don, Dawn, and Lauren. The meeting covered approval of previous minutes, reports, old business, new business, timeline review, outreach planning, and renderings.

Consent Calendar

  • Approved minutes from January 20 and July 28, 2026. Motion passed with roll call: Don yes, Pat yes, Frederica yes. Lauren abstained as she was not an official member for those meetings.

Public Comments & Testimony

  • Eileen, a member of the public, inquired about parking discussions, the Ramsdell agenda for an upcoming library meeting, and sought clarification on cost estimates and the MBLC grant process. She asked about the financial plan and reimbursement timeline.

Discussion Items

  • Parking: Discussion on adding a designated handicap space in front of the library (currently one spot exists). Committee agreed to contact DPW about a second spot. Pat will propose a parking meeting to HIC; Lauren will ask the trustees. A parking study or making Main Street one-way was also considered.
  • FAQ Document: An FAQ created by trustees in response to community questions was reviewed. A broader FAQ is needed; Frederica will share her older draft with members via email.
  • Archives Meeting: A meeting with the town manager, historic commission, and trustees about archive relocation is needed. Trustees have made one attempt without response; they will try again with a specific agenda.
  • DPW Representation: Steve Larkin left the committee; a new DPW representative is required. Don will ask Town Manager Liz to bring the request to the Select Board.
  • Timeline Review: Don presented an MBLC timeline. Construction is estimated to start in January 2029. Two Town Meeting votes in May are required: one to approve the project, one to fund. A cost estimate is needed for CPC applications, but timing depends on MHC feedback.
  • Renderings: A disagreement emerged over direct communication with PDR by trustees without building committee involvement. Frederica and John expressed concern, advocating for a unified approach. Trustees will send further feedback via the building committee.
  • Outreach Activities: Trustees are conducting community outreach, with tours starting September 26. A joint meeting with building committee to review design boards was suggested. Committee favored creating larger, annotated boards by floor for better clarity. Fundraising will continue throughout the project.

Key Outcomes

  • Minutes from two prior meetings were approved.
  • Pat will propose a parking meeting to HIC; Lauren will approach trustees.
  • Don will request a DPW representative from the Town Manager and inquire about a meeting with library trustees.
  • Frederica will share the FAQ draft.
  • Next meeting scheduled for September 29, 2026, at 4:00 PM (location TBD).
  • Committee agreed to collaborate on renderings and outreach materials.

Meeting Transcript

Calling the meeting to order at 403 and asking for a roll call, John. I am here. Okay. Pat? I am also here. All right. Dawn. Mostly here. Okay. And Lauren, I saw a door close. I assume she's coming back. But we know we know that she's here. Uh like to start the um meeting with the minutes. Has everybody reviewed the minutes, or would you like us to post them? Okay. Approval to uh okay. Sorry about that. All right, Lauren. So you're here. Great. Yeah, my my dog was outside and she got herself wrapped around all of my giant sunflowers. Uh-oh. Before she tore them out of the ground, I had to get her okay. All right. Uh so Frederica, since you're chairing, uh you're not able to make a motion, but I'll I'll move that we approve. Um well, first I'll ask can we approve uh both sets of minutes with one motion? I move that we approve the minutes for January, the meetings on January 20th and July 28th. Second all right, because this is a Zoom meeting, we have to do a roll call on that. Uh Don I uh yes, yes, Lauren. I wasn't there, so I uh can't approve. Were you you were there at the uh the July 28th, right? Oh, yeah, but I wasn't an official member until today, until this first meeting. Okay, Pat. Yes. Okay, and I approve as well. So that passes. Uh co-chair's report. John, do you have a co-chair's report? The co chairs met this morning for the first time. I am um uh I'm not back not quite uh 48 hours from uh long trip overseas, so I'm just catching up and uh Frederica was kind enough to uh spend time catching me up with um uh much of where we are in the process. I'm still uh reviewing uh minutes and uh correspondence from the past couple of months. Okay, and my uh co-chair's report can be covered by the old business because I uh there were a few items that were open from the minutes, and I wanted to go over those and see if we could uh put them to

SUMMARIZED BY OPENPUBLICA AI
TRANSCRIPT VIA PUBLIC VIDEO
openpublica.com